NAFO policy priorities enable sustainably-managed forests to provide a variety of public benefits including building and other consumer products, renewable energy, wildlife habitat, clean air and water, and recreation. NAFO priorities include:
Urging Congress to recognize the full carbon benefits of forest bioenergy in federal policy. More.
- The carbon benefits of renewable forest biomass are well established.
- Congress should remove uncertainty and ensure the carbon benefits of renewable forest biomass.
- A federal policy should be simple to implement.
- Key elements of a simple approach to regulating biomass include:
- Recognition that biomass energy will not increase carbon in the atmosphere so long as overall forest carbon is stable or increasing.
- Use of U.S. Forest Inventory Analysis data and established science rather than complex modeling and assumptions.
- Implementation on the broadest possible national scale.
- Recognition that forest products manufacturing residuals, harvest residuals and thinnings do not increase and can even reduce overall carbon in the atmosphere.
Retaining the current tax treatment of timber to preserve the economic viability and public benefits of private forest ownership. More.
- The timberland tax provisions recognize the treatment of private forests as a long-term investment in real property and address in a practical way the costs and risks of maintaining healthy forests.
- The timberland tax provisions help working forest owners create jobs, provide environmental benefits and help Americans reach financial goals.
- Repeal of the timberland tax provisions would adversely impact jobs, the economy, and public benefits.
Restoring existing regulation of Waters of the U.S. More.
- The expansion of WOTUS introduces costly new administrative burdens for states and forest owners.
- The expansion increases litigation exposure.
- The expansion threatens the loss of forestland.
Other policies to help keep working forests working. More.
- Ensuring Strong Markets for Wood.
- Providing Benefits to Clean Water.
- Promoting Conservation.