Director for Communications
The Director for Communications is the operational lead for NAFO’s strategic communications, providing the voice of private working forest owners in Washington, D.C. The Director for Communications manages a fully integrated strategic communications program, which includes multi-stakeholder advocacy and educational outreach, media engagement, social media and social listening, data and analytics, and the management and development of a growing suite of creative assets including infographics, microsites, and interactive tools.
The Director for Communications reports to the Vice President for Communications & Creative and will work closely with peers in government relations, policy, and operations. The Director for Communications will also help manage a bench of external communications vendors and consultants, participate in coalitions, and support NAFO member engagement and partnership effort
- Assist in the annual development and continuous refinement of NAFO’s communications strategy.
- Develop and deploy a wide range of traditional and cutting-edge communications tactics, messaging, and materials that support NAFO’s advocacy and policy objectives, including issue/advocacy campaigns, fact sheets, briefing materials, and visuals.
- Manage a growing bench of external communications vendors, which includes graphic designers, web vendors, photographers and videographers, freelance writers, and communications consultants.
- Manage NAFO’s online presence, including the social media program, website, paid content, and external microsites and interactive tools.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key media contacts and peers in Congress, the Administration, the NAFO membership, and a wide range of partners and allies.
- Represent the interests of the NAFO membership and private forestry community in a diverse network of coalitions, allies, and partners.
- 3-5 years of experience supporting strategic communications, public affairs, issue advocacy, or journalism. Advocacy experience preferred. Experience with the forestry sector is not required.
- Strong writer and editor, with a keen eye for detail. Experience in persuasive writing, and an understanding of how persuasive messages can be used across channels.
- Track record of success using traditional and social media to engage and influence target audiences and to effectively monitor, anticipate, and respond to opposition. Basic design skills are a plus.
- Adept project manager, with the ability to work with different internal and external teams, prioritize, multi-task, and manage multiple workstreams.
The National Alliance of Forest Owners (NAFO) is a national advocacy organization committed to advancing federal policies that ensure our working forests provide clean air, clean water, wildlife habitat and jobs through sustainable practices and strong markets. NAFO member companies own and sustainably manage more than 46 million acres of private working forests to provide a steady supply of timber for forest products. NAFO’s membership also includes state and national associations representing tens of millions of additional acres.
Interested? Send your resume and a brief introductory email, with the subject line “NAFO Director for Communications,” to email@example.com.