DIRECTOR FOR POLICY
The National Alliance of Forest Owners (NAFO) is a national advocacy organization committed to advancing federal policies supporting the long-term economic, social and environmental benefits of sustainably managed privately-owned forests.
NAFO member companies own and manage more than 46 million acres of private working forests sustainably managed to provide a steady supply of timber and other public benefits. NAFO’s membership also includes state and national associations representing tens of millions of additional acres.
NAFO is seeking a talented and motivated professional to serve as Director of Policy. The position will help plan and execute NAFO’s policy and regulatory affairs work.
The position will report directly to the Vice President for Policy while supporting all facets of NAFO’s work to advance federal policies and initiatives that position private working forests as a solution for clean air and water, wildlife habitat and jobs through sustainable practices and healthy markets.
The Director of Policy will work as part of an integrated advocacy team that builds and maintains trust with each other, member companies, peers and policymakers through good faith collaboration, effective management, careful execution and strong communication.
Policy Development: Assist with the development of NAFO’s overall policy platform with specific emphasis on wildlife and water issues.
Strategy Development and Execution: Assist in the development and execution of strategies to advance policy with colleagues, influencers, and policymakers.
Research, Data and Information Analysis: Lead research, data and information collection, curation and analysis in support of policy development.
Legal and Legislative Analysis: Analyze and provide counsel on legislative, legal, and regulatory issues affecting NAFO policy priorities.
Relationships: Engage NAFO member companies, peer organizations, and coalitions in policy development, strategic planning, and execution.
Collaboration: Work effectively with staff, company experts, consultants, and peer organizations to support development of innovative policy solutions and strategies.
Communication: Draft regulatory comments and other communications as needed to advance policy solutions, working collaboratively with the NAFO team.
Consultant Management: Help manage retained consultants.
Experience and Competencies
- 5+ years federal policy/regulatory experience, including government, NGO, law firm, corporate, or trade association work. Experience with natural resource environmental issues preferred, climate issues a plus.
- A law degree preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to build common ground with diverse stakeholders.
- Proven ability to simultaneously manage people, consultants, projects and tasks in a demanding, fast-paced and dynamic work environment.
- Demonstrated ability to lead group processes and problem solving in an effective and timely manner.
- Outstanding writing and verbal communications skills. Must be able to write clearly and persuasively. Excellent data analysis skills.
- Passion for finding policy solutions that benefit people, the environment, and the climate.
- Commitment to building and maintaining strong relationships and networks.
- Strong active listening skills and self-awareness.
- Self-determination, discipline, dependability, and attention to detail.
- Ability to exercise discretion and good judgment.
For more information, or to submit a resume, please contact Jonathan Tyree at email@example.com.