DIRECTOR OF GOVERNMENT RELATIONS
The National Alliance of Forest Owners (NAFO) is a national advocacy organization committed to advancing federal policies supporting the long-term economic, social and environmental benefits of sustainably managed privately-owned forests.
NAFO member companies own and manage more than 46 million acres of private working forests sustainably managed to provide a steady supply of timber and other public benefits. NAFO’s membership also includes state and national associations representing tens of millions of additional acres.
NAFO is seeking a talented and motivated professional to serve as Director of Government Relations. The position will help plan and execute NAFO’s policy and political advocacy, including management of NAFO’s Political Action Committee (PAC). The position will report directly to the Vice President for Government Relations, while supporting all facets of NAFO’s legislative and regulatory advocacy.
• Assist with the development and execution of NAFO’s legislative and regulatory advocacy strategies.
• Execute strategic, consistent engagement of key Members of Congress and congressional staff, particularly within the NAFO footprint.
• Engage NAFO member companies, peer organizations, and coalitions on coordinated advocacy and political efforts.
• Manage the NAFO PAC, including strategic planning, contributions, solicitations, and event planning.
• Assist with the development of messaging materials to support advocacy efforts.
• Co-manage the NAFO fellow program.
• Engage retained consultants as directed.
• Bachelor’s degree required.
• 3-5 years of relevant advocacy experience with Congress and/or Federal agencies, or equivalent experience.
• Familiarity with natural resource issues and experience with trade associations or alliance building a plus.
Competencies and Attributes
• A strong understanding of the relationship between policymaking in Congress and outside interests.
• A demonstrated ability and desire to establish and maintain strong relationships and networks.
• Ability to work with policymakers across the political spectrum.
• Proven ability to successfully manage multiple projects and tasks in a demanding, fast-paced, and constantly changing work environment.
• Excellent written/oral communication and active listening skills.
• Aptitude for building consensus among multiple stakeholders.
• Strong self-determination, discipline, dependability, attention to detail, and completing tasks in a timely manner.
• Ability to exercise discretion and good judgment.
For more information or to submit a resume, please contact Jonathan Tyree at (202) 747-0753 or email@example.com.