NATIONAL ALLIANCE OF FOREST OWNERS (NAFO)
VICE PRESIDENT FOR GOVERNMENT RELATIONS
The National Alliance of Forest Owners (NAFO) is seeking an experienced, forward-looking professional to oversee an innovative and strategic federal government relations operation located in Washington, D.C.
NAFO is a national advocacy organization that advances federal policies ensuring that privately owned working forests can provide clean air, clean water, wildlife habitat and jobs through sustainable practices and strong markets. NAFO member companies own and manage more than 46 million acres of private working forests sustainably managed to provide a steady supply of timber and other public benefits. NAFO’s membership also includes state and national associations representing tens of millions of additional acres.
Based in Washington, DC, the Vice President for Government Relations (VPGR) will lead a comprehensive strategic federal advocacy program to advance policies and initiatives that position private forests in the economic, social and environmental prosperity of our nation. The VPGR will report to the President and CEO and work closely with senior staff, the NAFO membership, the forest products supply chain and partner organizations in an integrated policy advocacy effort. The VPGR will develop and execute advocacy strategies that secure enduring solutions through collaboration with NAFO members, partners and policymakers, effective management, careful execution and strong communication. The VPGR will supervise a Director of Government Relations.
- Policy Advocacy – Develop and execute winning advocacy strategies that integrate and leverage the resources, skills and influence of NAFO’s members, partners and consultants.
- Strategic Positioning – Position NAFO’s advocacy priorities with policymakers and peer influencers.
- Relationships – Build and leverage strong relationships with NAFO members, peer organizations and senior policy and political staff in Congress and the Administration.
- Management – Manage and coordinate the advocacy activities of NAFO member companies, retained consultants and peer organizations to achieve common policy and political objectives.
- Political Action – Develop and execute the political giving strategies of the NAFO PAC.
- 10+ years’ experience in policy advocacy before Congress, Federal agencies and the White House.
- Strong leadership, a high level of self-confidence and a willingness to provide candid advice and counsel.
- A proven track record of developing and executing bipartisan advocacy strategies with successful outcomes.
- A strong professional network and a demonstrated ability to build and maintain strategically important relationships.
- Exceptional judgment and the ability to make sound decisions in a demanding environment both independently and as part of a team.
- Superb organizational, verbal, written and interpersonal skills.
- Experience managing and leading teams.
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred.
For more information or to submit a resume, please contact Jonathan Tyree at (202) 747-0753 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
A PDF of this job description can be found HERE.