Vice President for Government Relations
NAFO is seeking a talented and motivated professional to serve as Vice President for Government Relations (VPGR). The VPGR leads a comprehensive strategic federal advocacy program to advance policies and initiatives that position private forests in the economic, social and environmental prosperity of our nation. The VPGR supervises a Director of Government Relations & State Outreach.
The VPGR works closely with the President & CEO and other senior staff as part of an integrated advocacy team that builds and maintains trust with each other, member companies, peers, and policymakers through good faith collaboration, effective management, careful execution, and strong communication.
- Lead development and implementation of advocacy and political strategies to advance policy priorities across government.
- Develop timely and effective tools to communicate policy priorities to policymakers, member companies, partners, and coalitions.
- Engage policymakers in Congress and federal agencies in coordination with the Vice President for Policy & Regulatory Affairs. Build and leverage relationships with member companies, peer organizations, coalitions, and influencers.
- Oversee political giving strategy and all aspects of the political action committee. Ensure compliance with all related reporting and disclosure requirements.
- Oversee outreach to state forestry associations to build relationships, identify emerging federal issues, leverage political opportunities, and align advocacy actions.
- Staff the Government Relations Task Group in coordination with the Director for Government Affairs and State Outreach.
- 10+ years’ experience in policy advocacy before Congress, federal agencies and the White House, with a strong knowledge of policymaking across government.
- A proven track record of developing and executing bipartisan advocacy strategies with successful outcomes.
- Proven ability to exercise sound judgment and simultaneously manage people, consultants, projects, and tasks in a demanding, fast-paced, and dynamic work environment.
- A strong professional network and a demonstrated ability to build and maintain strategically important relationships.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree required; graduate degree preferred.
The National Alliance of Forest Owners (NAFO) is a national advocacy organization committed to advancing federal policies that ensure our working forests provide clean air, clean water, wildlife habitat and jobs through sustainable practices and strong markets. NAFO member companies own and sustainably manage more than 46 million acres of private working forests to provide a steady supply of timber for forest products. NAFO’s membership also includes state and national associations representing tens of millions of additional acres. Private working forests in the U.S. support 2.5 million jobs. Private working forests provide 90% of our timber harvest for wood and fiber and account for nearly three-quarters of our total gross forest carbon sequestration.
Send your resume and a brief introductory email, with the subject line “NAFO Vice President for Government Relations” to firstname.lastname@example.org.